STEPS IN THE CALLING OF A PASTOR
(Items in bold are completed)
- The District Superintendent meets with the local church board to begin the process of calling a pastor. This includes the following:
- Urging prayer as a necessary ingredient for determining God’s will.
- Selection of interim pastoral arrangements – Pastor Jerry Walden
- Enabling the church board to develop a profile of the person that should serve as pastor.
- Considering the records of those persons who are to be considered potential nominees for office of pastor.
- The church board, under the direction of the District Superintendent, shall select a person as a possible nominee and arrangements will be made for a personal interview. The board will be expected to keep any names of potential pastors confidential, and it will be appreciated if the congregation honors this expectation.
- Following the interview, the church board will meet in executive session to evaluate the information gained from the interview. Then a ballot vote will be taken as to whether this person shall be nominated to the church membership. If at least a two-thirds majority of the board members vote affirmatively, and the District Superintendent approves, the name will be presented to the church membership for formal voting.
- In compliance with the requirements of the Church of the Nazarene Manual 2017-2021, the meeting of the church membership for voting on a prospective pastor will be announced in at least two preceding regular services.
- Before voting, the congregation will have the opportunity to meet the pastoral candidate in order to get acquainted.
- In the church meeting, all active members (age 15 and above) will be entitled to vote. The call of the pastor requires a two-thirds favorable vote by ballot of the church members of voting age present and voting. There is no allowance for absentee voting.
- When the call is extended to the minister under consideration, the minister shall communicate acceptance of the call no later than 15 days from the dates of the church meeting voting that call.
As this is a new adventure for all of us, Owosso First Church, here is what we need you to do:
Pray for the current leadership ministry partners at Owosso First Church of the Nazarene. Pray for the district leadership as they, in conjunction with Owosso First, start the processes of transition and succession. Pray for Pastor Jerry Walden as he leads you during this transition period.
Encourage the current leadership at Owosso First as these are interesting times. Step up and serve in ministry. Be proactive and care for one another.
Come to church to hear the gospel.
Come to church to participate in life change.
Come to church to participate in this transition.
God is in control.
God is with this church.
God makes better plans than we do.